Happy Monday! Welcome back to the small corner of the internet that is home to my blog site! 🙂 If you know me, you know that I love to bake, especially from scratch! Today is no exception to this, and I even decided to take on a new challenge! If you read the title of this post (and hopefully you DID), then you probably know what I decided to bake today. If you just so happened to zone out, well, I decided to make homemade pumpkin pie from scratch! Well, with the exception of the pie crust because ya girl just wasn’t feeling making pie crust today. Anyways, it’s fall, I love pumpkin pie, and I have NEVER made it from scratch until today.
Can you tell me why you wanted to do this again? – Evan, the supportive husband who enjoys the food but not the process. ❤️
Anyways, BACK to the point of this post…. to talk about my attempt at making a glorious pumpkin pie 🥧. For starters, we headed over to our local store and picked out the smallest pumpkin, which was still a 6 pounder! That’s a whole baby sized pumpkin, y’all! On top of the pumpkin, we also got the other necessary ingredients. These include the following:
- Heavy whipping cream (1/2 cup)
- Sweetened condensed milk (14oz can)
- Molasses (2 tbsp)
- Corn starch (2 tbsp)
- Pie crusts
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – decided to try this instead of getting 2 separate spices because this was the cheaper option 🤷🏼♀️. You can also just get ground ginger and ground cinnamon. Use 1 tbsp of each or 2 tbsp of the pumpkin pie spice.
- Canola oil – we just used what we already had. (2tbsp)
- Vanilla Bean ice cream
- 3 eggs (large)
Because our pumpkin is pretty big, we decided to make 2 pies. The recipe below is for one pie, but you can easily double for two!
- Wash your pumpkin
- Cut stem off and gut the pumpkin. You can keep the seeds to bake and eat, but we chose not to.
- Cut the pumpkin in to 4 pieces and place on baking sheet. (We covered ours with aluminum foil).
- Coat the outside part of pumpkin in canola oil and bake on 375 degrees for an hour.
- Once done, scrape the insides of the pumpkin from the skin and purée it.
- Add in the whipping cream, spices, condensed milk, corn starch, molasses, and all the other ingredients (minus the ice cream) and mix all together.
- Put the ingredients into the pie crusts and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the pie cool on a rack for 30-ish minutes.
- Add ice cream to your slice.
Nicole made this amazing pumpkin pie, and it is easily a 12/10. – Reina, who proceeded to gas my head up. 🙂
If you decide to try this recipe, drop your feedback down into the comments below!
-NICOLE, certified pumpkin pie chef.